Driveshell forum

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2015 9:31:00 AM(UTC)
Admin (Lasse)

Groups: Administrators
Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 50 post(s)
FINALLY i got my DCDC-NUC power supply for my NUC PC to go into my car..

But i got a problem with the power supply.. the power supply gets 12 volt from car and spits out 19v as expected to the NUC, but it can't turn it on when ignition is active.. any ideas? i can measure 12v on the input wire when active but the computer never turns on.. as you can see in the images the power switch wire is connected.. the pc can turn on manually just fine by the button.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
marlo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2015 1:15:56 PM(UTC)
marlo

Groups: Registered
Man
Germany

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Hi,
maybe it is the polarity of the power switch cable.
Just turn it 180° on the NUCs motherboard connector.

Have you seted this:

Scroll down to "NUC and OS settings".

DC DC nuc power supply
Admin  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 8:49:30 AM(UTC)
Admin (Lasse)

Man
Denmark

Originally Posted by: marlo Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Have you seted this:

DC DC nuc power supply

Sorry for the late answer, i worked MANY hours on the build and with the configuration and it's finally up and running!

The problem was, that the DCDC-NUC was completely wrong set up from the manufactorer.. it was in Dumb mode, which only makes it convert the voltage and do nothing else.. we found out by connecting a USB to the PSU and using the tool it came with to set it up. Many other things had to be configured too to get it to work properly! like the PSU has a threashold to when it is considered ON by how many amps the system is using and as my monitor is now connected to the output of the PSU now too, it was tricky. Also timers and voltage related settings had to be configured, i think at least 10 different parameters!

Theres a bit more work, i'll post some images later!

marlo  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:34:38 AM(UTC)
marlo

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: marlo Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Have you seted this:

DC DC nuc power supply

Sorry for the late answer, i worked MANY hours on the build and with the configuration and it's finally up and running!

The problem was, that the DCDC-NUC was completely wrong set up from the manufactorer.. it was in Dumb mode, which only makes it convert the voltage and do nothing else.. we found out by connecting a USB to the PSU and using the tool it came with to set it up. Many other things had to be configured too to get it to work properly! like the PSU has a threashold to when it is considered ON by how many amps the system is using and as my monitor is now connected to the output of the PSU now too, it was tricky. Also timers and voltage related settings had to be configured, i think at least 10 different parameters!

Theres a bit more work, i'll post some images later!

Well a little description from the manufactorers could be very helpful sometimes.

Just a short sentence like "Dear customer,the PSU is setted to dumb mode by default.
Before connecting the PSU to the NUC please use our programing tool!"

Admin  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:41:27 PM(UTC)
Admin (Lasse)

Man
Denmark

Alright.. been very busy getting the system completed, but it all works now, finally!

The NUC itself needs to be fastend and the PSU board needs a protective case, but other than that, the hardware is done..

So far i have only one big problem.. as i'm running a USB DAC, Windows volume level is always 100% of volume level of the amplifier, does anyone know if i can turn down the volume in Windows sent to the DAC? Normal Master Volume isn't working. Of cause volume level in the FE is working when Volume Method is set to Current Device.

It's very fast, VERY fast booting and is running very good.. The spec is:

Windows 10
Core i3
8 GB RAM
Bluetooth and WIFI
4G dongle
64 GB SSD (needs a bigger soon)

8" lilliput screen
DCDC-NUC PSU
Globesat BU-353-S4 GPS receiver
USB DAC
2 channel amp

Admin  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2016 2:47:28 PM(UTC)
Admin (Lasse)

Man
Denmark

Marlo suggested to set the DAC to the default device to control volume.. as far as i can see, it already is.. so i don't think that's a solution..
joan  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2016 8:05:06 PM(UTC)
joan

Spain

It seems DAC control capabilities depend on DAC type, OS version and own DAC driver.

Perhaps this link can provide more info:

http://www.thewelltemperedcompu...com/SW/Windows/Win10.htm

I'm also interested into use a DAC for sound, so please keep us informed about your progress.
CarPCs:Mazda6+RX8My project
UserPostedImage
marlo  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2016 8:28:05 PM(UTC)
marlo

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: joan Go to Quoted Post
It seems DAC control capabilities depend on DAC type, OS version and own DAC driver.

Perhaps this link can provide more info:

http://www.thewelltemperedcompu...com/SW/Windows/Win10.htm

I'm also interested into use a DAC for sound, so please keep us informed about your progress.

I am using this one:
usb dac

Absolutely no problems with volume control (Windows 7 64bit).
Sound is very good,also.
Compared to my Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 soundcard the soundquality of this usb dac is nearly on the same level.

Younes  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2016 2:10:10 PM(UTC)
Younes

Switzerland

Hi,

I also bought a DC-DC NUC supply which I'm using in automotive mode to supply my skull canyon.
If the ignition goes below a certain threshold, the DC-DC NUC sends a reboot/shutdown signal over the USB.
I didn't know this was possible. This is great !

My question :
Do you know how this is done ?

I suppose that a power button event is generated over the USB (HID) but I don't know how this is precisely done.
Do you have any idea of that ? I'd like to implement this feature on my own microcontrolle board.
I looked on the ACPI hardware Specs but this seems to be complicated. Maybe you have experience with that ?
Thanks in advance

Younes
Admin (Lasse)  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2016 7:28:19 PM(UTC)
Admin (Lasse)

Man
Denmark

Originally Posted by: Younes Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I also bought a DC-DC NUC supply which I'm using in automotive mode to supply my skull canyon.
If the ignition goes below a certain threshold, the DC-DC NUC sends a reboot/shutdown signal over the USB.

My question :

I suppose that a power button event is generated over the USB (HID) but I don't know how this is precisely done.
Do you have any idea of that ? I'd like to implement this feature on my own microcontrolle board.
I looked on the ACPI hardware Specs but this seems to be complicated. Maybe you have experience with that ?
Thanks in advance

Younes

Hi, yeah i've spent quite a lot if time setting up my DCDC-NUC board.. it can be a little complicated.

The USB cable it not needed to get it to work, it's primarily for configuration. You need to connect the power wire from the DCDC-NUC to the NUC motherboard..

You need to connect the USB from the board to a PC, not the Car PC, and download the tool to configure it:

Download it here

Also, you can read a lot about it here:
http://wiki.mini-box.com...DC-NUC#Download_software

In order to get the DCDC-NUC board to work properly, you need to configure the settings that tells the DCDC-NUC when to boot and shutdown the PC based on how many watts it uses etc. You can see in the top of the tool how much it consumes..

Let me know if you need more help.
lextar  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:39:50 PM(UTC)
lextar

Italy

Hi,

My question :

Thanks in advance

Younes

I'm also interested on doing this with USB.
I'm using a Lattepanda board (www.lattepanda.com) that does not have the motherboard-style 2PIN power switch connector.
The only way to properly shutdown the machine is using this DCDC-USB PSU and sending shutdown signal through USB. But I don't know how to do this. I also read the PDF on the website but found nothing about...

Admin (Lasse)  
#12 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 1:45:01 PM(UTC)
Admin (Lasse)

Man
Denmark

Originally Posted by: lextar Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

My question :

Thanks in advance

Younes

I'm also interested on doing this with USB.
I'm using a Lattepanda board (www.lattepanda.com) that does not have the motherboard-style 2PIN power switch connector.
The only way to properly shutdown the machine is using this DCDC-USB PSU and sending shutdown signal through USB. But I don't know how to do this. I also read the PDF on the website but found nothing about...

I believe it can do that, yes.. i don't use the USB output myself though, other than diagnostic. as far as i remember, i call there was a setting you can do through the tool that follows where you can set if it should send the shutdown command over USB or not.
lextar  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 8:57:15 AM(UTC)
lextar

Italy

They answered me that's not possible:

Dear Alessandro,

The DCDC-USB can be programmed to output 5V but it can't send shutdown signals via USB. If the mentioned board has On/Off pins you can use the Automotive mode of the DCDC-USB via which it will send On/Off signals. Hope this information helps!
Admin (Lasse)  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:46:06 PM(UTC)
Admin (Lasse)

Man
Denmark

Dear Alessandro,

The DCDC-USB can be programmed to output 5V but it can't send shutdown signals via USB. If the mentioned board has On/Off pins you can use the Automotive mode of the DCDC-USB via which it will send On/Off signals. Hope this information helps!

Just to be clear, they are talking about the DCDC-USB, i'm talking about the DCDC-NUC, two different products :)
lextar  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:06:33 AM(UTC)
lextar

Italy

Originally Posted by: Admin (Lasse) Go to Quoted Post

Dear Alessandro,

Just to be clear, they are talking about the DCDC-USB, i'm talking about the DCDC-NUC, two different products :)

You'r right! I'm going to buy the DCDC-NUC and add a step down transformer to achieve 5V and power the LattePanda Board!
Admin (Lasse)  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:11:42 AM(UTC)
Admin (Lasse)

Man
Denmark

Originally Posted by: Admin (Lasse) Go to Quoted Post

Dear Alessandro,

You'r right! I'm going to buy the DCDC-NUC and add a step down transformer to achieve 5V and power the LattePanda Board!

Great! let us know how it goes!